22 October 2006

Speed Dating, Frozen Embryos And A New Epiphany

Sis and her colleague had just decided not to attend a speed dating event.

"I'm too shy and my colleague doesn't want to put her handphone number on the form," she explained.

"I think it's very stressful. You are given a limited time to introduce yourself and chat briefly and then you have to swap partners." I had seen it being done in one episode of Sex And The City.

"Really? Sounds robotic, like conveyor belt sushi, except you are served men instead," she laughed.

I wondered if relationships that started on such an unnatural note could really work. After all, the era when people stay committed to arranged marriages was long gone. I felt it was better to meet men through normal day-to-day interactions and told sis so.

"Women worry because their biological clock only gives them that much time. If they are too passive, by the time they meet someone, they may have to commit immediately, having no time for dating," sis explained patiently, knowing fully well how clueless gay men can be about women's issues. "The only way is to have your eggs frozen, then you can take as long as you want to find that right guy."

"Or adopt."

"But you may want your kids to have your own genetic makeup."

We were silent for a while, being both absorbed in our own thoughts.

"I have had a new epiphany since I started teaching," I said breaking the silence. "You can't choose how your child turns out to be. I have some students I really wish I were their parent," I continued, thinking of the boy. "Then, there are the other students," I sighed.

Sis chuckled, agreeingly. "Perhaps we can have cocktail children in the future, like in Gattaca."

No comments:

This blog is a diary originally published on Fridae, the gay asian portal. It started out as little rants about my relationship. However when some Fridae members wrote expressing sympathy towards my seemingly disastrous relationship, I realised that I had been writing only at the times when my relationship was at low points. In an attempt to record a fuller picture of my relationship, I have been recording other emotions (apart from frustrations) we have encountered.