01 August 2006

The Androgynous Pastor

Mom about her one of her customers, “The first time I saw him, I couldn’t decide if he was a man or a woman. He was dressed a man, but he was gentle and soft-spoken and you aren’t really sure. You can tell he was the thrifty type, but he was a good customer and never haggled over the price of the things he bought.

Then out of the blue, he informed us that he was getting married. He looked like he was in his late forties so we were quite surprised but we congratulated him of course. He then went on to share about how his fiancée was planning a high budget wedding and complained about how she was digging into his finances.

The next time I saw him, about three months later, he said he was no longer getting married. The excuse was that he was uncomfortable with the way his money was being spent.”

“He loves someone enough to want to marry her but gives her up because he doesn’t want to afford the wedding?” I was intrigued.

“Yes, he’s weird.” Mom replied.

“Perhaps he’s really gay and was pressurised into marriage by his family or church?” I suggested.

Mom looked thoughtful, “We will never know.”

Assuming my suggestion about the pastor was true, I told her I couldn’t imagine myself leading such a life of denial and self-rejection.

No comments:

This blog is a diary originally published on Fridae, the gay asian portal. It started out as little rants about my relationship. However when some Fridae members wrote expressing sympathy towards my seemingly disastrous relationship, I realised that I had been writing only at the times when my relationship was at low points. In an attempt to record a fuller picture of my relationship, I have been recording other emotions (apart from frustrations) we have encountered.